Thursday, April 23, 2009

There Is No Place I'd Like To Wake Up But Beside You

Kime - I may steal that idea of song lyrics for my music related blogettes.

Tonight I went and saw Holly Miranda at Home in Silver Lake. It is a really cute restaurant/bar and I would like to hang out there in the future. Holly Miranda is the lead singer of one of my favorite groups, The Jealous Girlfriends. She has a little solo project going on right now, however she is not signed to a record deal. Hopefully that will happen for her soon.



When Holly first started out is was basically just her singing acoustic under the name The Jealous Girlfriends, they then added members and morphed into a louder indie rock band, but I have always loved her acoustic stuff.
So tonight I finally got to see just Holly and a guitar. It was awesome and the place was full even though it was a last minute show. She has such a strong, emotional, incredible voice. There was a table of old men who stopped her before a song and said - Who are you. And she told them and they said are you signed to anyone and she said no and the old men said well someone better sign you soon cause you are amazing. Good for her!
Her new songs were produced by Dave Sitek from TV on the Radio and Kanye has blogged about how much her likes her, which made other music blogs take notice. So hopefully something happens for her soon.

She played a multi instrumental show of mostly new solo stuff and it was great. She closed with a cover of Lauryn Hill's Ex-Factor. That is probably my favorite song on that album and I LOVE Lauryn Hill, but I think Holly may have done it better. It was fantastic. A version can be found here.


From last week in Brooklyn when she opened for Nada Surf. Sleep on Fire.

No comments: