Sunday, January 18, 2009

Theresa Anderson Show


Today I took the subway in to Hollywood and went and saw Theresa Anderson play at Amoeba.


Amoeba is an awesome, huge, independent music store that has new and used music in all different formats and every genre. They also gives free music performances. So Theresa Anderson played today and since she was on my artists to watch list, I figured I check it out. It was pretty crazy. She is basically a one woman band. She played like 6 different instruments in the short 5 song set. During one song she played a mandolin (I think), an acoustic guitar, drums, violin and sang. She did live sound looping, which looked really confusing. She had bare feet so she could switch all the looping buttons with her feet. I met her after and she said it was confusing at first and she would fall over sometimes, but now she's used to it. The show was really great, the CD has some not so great songs, but I have to give it a few more listens. But, clearly she is super talented and she is older that what I expected from her voice. Her voice is absolutely amazing, but at times I felt like I was a little distracted from how great her voice was, by all the sound looping and instrument swapping happening on stage. However, still a great show and I am going to predict her song will be on Grey's Anatomy or a commercial this spring.


Here is a video of her doing all the crazy sound looping and instrument swapping in her kitchen in New Orleans. She actually recorded the whole album in her kitchen. She is a pretty cool chick.

Theresa Anderson - Birds Fly Away:

No comments: