Friday, January 16, 2009

RIP Indie 103.1

As I listen to my neighbors drunkenly singing, Shout, Unchained Melody and Informer, I am reminded that today was a horrible day for music in LA. I basically listen to two stations out here. Indie 103.1 and KCRW. KCRW is mostly talk and news but for a few hours each day they play some eclectic, singer songwriter, indie music. Like XPN, but much more international and well, eclectic. When they weren't playing music I listen to Indie 103.1 which was rated the #1 radio station in America by Rolling Stone in either 2007 or 2008. It was all indie rock and alternative rock, but not annoying emo crap. Plus they played alot of cool old alternative rock like the Pixies and Joy Division, etc...



They were a commercial radio station, but they did not play commercial music at all. They were being pressured into playing more commercial stuff and they would rather close shop then give in to corporate radio. The DJs said goodbye and then played My Way by Frank. Then for the rest of the day you heard their message and loop of The Clash, Sex Pistols and a few more. I agree with them, but it sucks. So they are now an internet radio station. Click here for their official announcement.

No comments: