Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Whenever I Feel Like It Music Blog - Uh Huh Her

Uh Huh Her released their first album, Common Reaction, today. I have been listening to it for the past few weeks and I love it (illegal downloading is bad, but I bought it too :) ). Uh Huh Her got their name from a PJ Harvey album, because at the time there were three of them and they liked the sound. (If you don't know who PJ Harvey is look up immediately as she is an extremely influential alternative artist. )
Now there are just two of them, Camila & Leisha.

I have been a fan of Uh Huh Her since their inception last year, mainly because I am a huge fan of Leisha Hailey who used to be in one of my fave bands - The Murmurs. Anyone who has been in my car or at work with me has been subjected to the Murmurs before and for that you are lucky. If you weren't one of those lucky few - you know them by that 1990's gem, "You Suck" (Also download Genius). She is also an actress. You've seen her on those semi annoying Yoplait commercials with the bridesmaids and on the L Word. She is actually a really talented actress.
The other chick in Uh Huh Her is Camila Grey. She is a super talented musician who studied classical music growing up and before UHH was in a really cool band called Mellowdrone (download "Fashionably Uninvited"). She has also worked with Dr Dre, Busta and Kelly Osborne. Lending to her cool factor, she also produced the EP and album. She also knows how to play, like, 5 instruments. Random fact - Her dad played Mozart and Neil Diamond on repeat while she was growing up. That reminds me of someone I know, named my dad.
So anyway Uh Huh Her has an electro indie pop sound and they released an EP last year and it immediately hit #29 on itunes and their single "Say So" was in the top 10. This new album is alot like the EP, which was recorded in Camilla's bedroom and bathroom, but it was actually recorded in a studio and is a little more produced with a tighter sound. Again, it is already in the top 40 albums on itunes. So I am excited for them.
I have seen them 3 times. Once in NY with Mandy last summer when they were just starting out. This summer they went on a sold out tour around the US and UK and I saw them twice here in LA, all shows were great. They put on a fun, energetic show. I am excited for the fall show. I have met them both and they are both really nice and down to earth. OK clearly I could go on and on about them, but I will stop here. Just check them out.

I created a mix tape with "Not a Love Song" which is their single from Common Reaction, Say So and Explode. The last two are both on the album and the EP.
What is missing is my favorite song from the album, "Wait Another Day", which I could, and do, listen to over and over again. But you can listen to it on their myspace page along with other songs - www.myspace.com/uhhuhhermusic. The entire album is streaming on iMeem.

Uh Huh Hear it now (ha ha - nerd):

MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes



Here is their new video for "Not A Love Song". It is very 80's-ish. It's fun. Plus they have a fake unicorn, and who doesn't love a fake unicorn.

No comments: