Thursday, August 28, 2008

Whenever I Feel Like It Music Blog - Jim Hanft



Jim Hanft is a singer songwriter who is my friend's little brother that I first saw perform at my first "Hanft Upside Your Head" memorial day weekend celebration about 4 or 5 years ago. Jim played his music around Philly and Boston and then eventually moved out to LA to pursue his dream of becoming a professional singer.
Jim is a singer songwriter that adds his own "personality" into his live performances. Over the years I saw Jim probably about 3 times on the east coast and always thought he was really good and put on a good performances. Upon moving here I looked up Jim and have gone to a couple of his shows. At both shows, I have been completely blown away. His vocals are spot on. His writing is smart, funny, sad, cute or moving, depending on the song. I have even cried at both shows in LA. Once because the song was so touching and tonight from laughing so hard.
He is a remarkable performer who really puts his heart and soul in his performance and he has a great time doing it. Tonight was no different. I went and saw Jim at Aura in Studio City, which conveniently is right down the street from my apartment. The crowd was totally in to him. He had the place laughing, singing, clapping and doing background for the Bitch song. Some songs are reminiscent of Flight of the Conchords where they are ironically smart and funny, while other songs are focused on love lost or just women that he believes are bitches. I recommend his music to anyone. Even if you hate singer-songwriter/folk music - go see him live because he is freakin hilarious.
Example: His final song was one that he said comforted him when he was sad as a kid. He then broke in to an emotional "Hero". That's right - by the man, Enrique. He even did the Spanish parts in not actually Spanish at all. The crowd at this place was kind of laid back, talking to each other, not really paying attention to the bands - but when Jim went up everyone started paying attention. Somehow Jim doesn't have a label yet, but he is going to be big some day.
Fans of Deli Magazine, which is a music centric magazine in NY and LA, voted him Artist of the Month in July - so people thankfully are starting to take notice. Now I suggest you do too. (Sidenote - my last music blog musician uh huh her was artist of the month in june).

Check out his Myspace page for a bunch of songs: http://www.myspace.com/jimhanft
My favorite of his songs are China Doll and Caffeine

Here is his web site which also plays songs:
http://jimhanft.com/


And check out this video for Superhero:


Because I can't get enough of him, I will be seeing him again this Saturday in Hollywood. He is also on the east coast quite a bit, so check his myspace for a show in your area. I know he is playing NYC in early October.

No comments: