Sunday, July 27, 2008

Whenever I Feel Like It Music Blog - Tokyo Police Club

It is weird being all the way over here and not being able to be around friends to know what they are listening to, so everyone might already be grooving to these guys but I don't know it. If so maybe I will enlighten you with some history.

In 2001 the four Canadian boys went to a Radiohead concert and then decided they were going to start a band. Unfortunately none of them knew how to play an instrument. The lead singer Adam Monks was actually tone deaf until her was 15. So senior year in high school they took up some instruments and started playing and joined a band in college. Eventually that band broke up and in 2005 Tokyo Police Club was born. They started playing a bunch of shows around Toronto and picked up quite a buzz, they made a 5 song EP, A Lesson in Crime, and were signed to a label in 2006. They just put out their first full length album in April, Elephant Shell, and it is getting played all the time on the indie stations in LA and a decent amount on YRock in Philly.

Their sound is definitely indie rock, but it has a bit of a poppy, punk type sound to it. People compare them to the Killers or the Strokes, but I don't see it. But I know they sound like someone - just not sure who. Let me know if you know. Sometimes I feel like it sounds like a louder punk rock version of the Decemberists singer. Like if he were screaming and rocking out.

I added videos from the EP - "Cheer it On" and "Tessellate" from the new album. I think the video for that is really cool. Its like battleship with humans. And for those of you who don't know what Tessellate means (I had no clue) it means to form in to a mosaic. Also check out some songs from their MySpace.

Cheer it On:




Tessellate:





No comments: