Saturday, February 14, 2009

Whenever I Feel Like It Music Blog - The Like

Upon hearing about Mark Ronson and Tennessee Thomas getting together it reminded me of my obsession with The Like. If you don't know who Mark Ronson is - look him up - he is amazing. Tennessee Thomas is drummer for the three girl band The Like.



I have liked the Like since their one and only album - "Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?" which came out in 2005 and it's one of my favorite albums. I love every song on it. The Like is an indie rock/pop band hailing from LA and they all have fathers that are music industry heavyweights. Tennessee's dad is the drummer for Elvis Costello. The bassist, Charlotte Froom's dad is a producer who has produced Crowded House, Pearl Jam and Sheryl Crow album. Oh, and her step mom used to be Suzanne Vega. The lead singer Z Berg's dad works at Geffen. Which coincidentally is their label.

They are all musically trained childhood friends who formed the band when they were all around 16. The name "The Like" comes from the word - like, and how many, mostly generation x & y kids (and valley girls) throw that word needlessly in sentences, myself included. They recorded an album in London in the fall of 2007, but I don't know what's up with it, there is still no talk of a release date. That leads me to believe they are having label issues. I guess time will tell. I hope something happens with it soon though.

I saw them last May in a really small and very expensive lounge (miller lites were like $8 dollars) and they tried some new stuff and played some old. It seemed like they had a lot of friends there and they were having a really good time. I was super impressed by them and it kind of made me want to be a rock star. I guess I would compare them to a The Pretenders or Rilo Kiley type sound, maybe a not so hard Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I don't know listen for yourself:

June Gloom (Video)


Release Me (Live on Indie 103.1 - RIP, This isn't released yet)


Bridge to Nowhere -

No comments: